When a couple in New York comes to the realization that they might be happier if they get divorced, it might be time to speak with an experienced divorce attorney. One of the topics that often comes up during a meeting with a divorce attorney is spousal maintenance. This is often a very contested matter in divorce because one spouse may not feel as though they are entitled to spousal support while the other party believes that they should not have to support their spouse after the divorce is finalized.
Some of the important factors that the court will take into consideration when determining whether spousal maintenance is necessary and if so, the extent of support that should be awarded include the following:
- The income of each party
- The amount of time the couple was married
- The age and health of each party
- The current or necessary education and training of each party
- Whether one of the spouses deferred his or her life goals to help support the family in other ways
- The tax implications that a support obligation may have on an individual
- The marital assets of the couple
- The earning potential of each party
If you are wondering whether spousal maintenance may be a factor in your divorce, contact our firm today.
Our firm proudly serves clients throughout Rockland County, New York when they require compassionate and effective legal guidance. If you require experienced legal representation for any of your divorce and family law matters, contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. today to schedule a consultation.