Rockland County, NY Modification Attorney

copy-of-copy-of-fotolia_64479268_s-columnsRepresenting clients requesting NY modifications

After a divorce or family law matter, a judge will issue an order that both parties must follow. Whether it is related to property distribution, child support, alimony, child custody or child visitation, a judge’s order is law. If a person was to ignore or defy the ruling, he or she could face some serious consequences, including but not limited to contempt of court and even wage garnishing. Taking these facts into consideration, a judge’s order is not totally set in stone. Courts regularly hear requests for modification to an order. If you are facing unforeseen circumstances that make in nearly impossible to follow a court order, judges are willing to hear you out. You must provide evidence of a significant and unexpected change in your situation. If you need to request a modification after a family law ruling, you need to discuss your matter with an experienced attorney. The Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. has been a legal resource for Rockland, Westchester, and Orange County for over 25 years. For quality legal support when requesting modifications, contact our firm for a consultation.

Modification of spousal maintenance

Courts are open to requests for modifications. The foundation of a verdict for alimony can change quickly and when an individual has reason to ask for a modification, the court will consider the new facts as long as they are unexpected, substantial and ongoing. Some of the reasons a court would modify an order include:

  • A change to the one party’s dependency
  • A change to the paying spouse’s financial situation
  • Illness

One cannot be found purposefully unemployed or underemployed to avoid or modify a court order. Doing so can lead to further legal troubles.

Modification of child support

Based on the New York Child Support Guidelines, the court will decide on the case in a fair and just manner to the couple and the child. When a continuing, significant and unforeseen change is circumstance constitutes a request for modification, the court will be open to hearing the evidence. Some of the factors that can change an order, include:

  • Change to income
  • Transfer of custody
  • Unexpected loss of employment

Child custody and visitation modification

Custody and visitation can be modified if the court agrees with the reasoning. Courts will always act in the best interests of the child and when deciding on custody or visitation, an unforeseen change of situation may call for the court to reconsider the original ruling. Some of the many reasons to request a modification include:

  • Relocation
  • Health of parent or child
  • Work schedule change
  • Parental alienation
  • Exposure to third parties that pose a danger to the child’s best interests

Contact our firm for a consultation

Courts understand that an uncertain future can majorly impact an order. When a court decides on a matter, they cannot see into the future. With that in mind, a change of situation may call for a judge to consider a change to a decision. When this happens, you need a law firm that can properly construct a request for modification that will convince the court. If you need quality legal support from an effective law firm, contact The Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. for a consultation to discuss your future.