When a person makes the decision to move out of state or even a few hours away, there are a ton of factors to figure out. The matter becomes so much more complicated when they are the parent of a child who they share custody of. The custodial parent can’t just move across the country with the child without first getting permission from either the non-custodial parent or the court. In many cases, this is easier said than done.

If a custodial parent wants to move, the first step is to discuss it with the non-custodial parent. Chances are, the non-custodial parent will not want to lose any more time with the child and may contest the matter. In this case, it will be taken to court and the judge will be in charge of determining if the move is in the best interest of the child. The custodial parent will be responsible for proving that the child’s life will not decrease in quality. You will have to be prepared to discuss how the move will impact the relationship between the child and the non-custodial parent and what the new visitation schedule will be. You will also have to show that the move will not negatively impact the child’s academic or social life.

The parent who wishes to move will also be required to inform the court why they want to move and the reasoning behind the non-custodial parent’s opposition of the move. If you need assistance in a relocation matter, contact an experienced family law attorney today.

If you require experienced legal representation for any of your divorce and family law matters, contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. today to schedule a consultation.