Upon filing for a divorce, many people are trying to seek closure regarding the end of their relationship. There are a number of ways to obtain closure, one of which being to change their name. When a woman gets married, they will often follow the tradition of taking their husband’s last name. Understandably so, upon getting divorced, they don’t want to share the same last name as their soon to be ex-spouse.

If you want to change your name back to your former maiden name, there is a process in order to go about this. In order to do so, you will have to file a Name Change Petition. This petition requires you to include the reason for the name change, whether you were convicted of a crime, whether you filed bankruptcy, whether you have a child or spousal support order, or if there are liens against you.

When you change your name, it is important that you remember to change your name on all of the necessary documents. At your job, make sure you inform your human resources department, change the name on your paycheck, email address, your business cards, your W2 form, and even your resume. Be sure not to forget any legal or governmental documents, such as your Social Security card, your passport, driver’s license, vehicle registration, mortgage, and all of your credit or debit cards. It is important to change your name on all of your various forms of insurance, at your doctor’s offices, and your pharmacy. Finally, be sure to notify all of the tax agencies, homeowner’s associations, landlords, and utilities.

If you forget to inform an organization about your name change, it can cause complications down the road. If you have questions about how to change your name after a divorce, speak with an experienced attorney who can provide you with assistance.

If you require experienced legal representation for any of your divorce and family law matters, contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. today to schedule a consultation.