Upon divorce, marital issues will be decided upon. Whether these decisions are made in mediation by the spouses or by a judge in court, they can be modified later on in life. This modification is available since life changes and the circumstances affecting the spouses may cause for a significant change to their original agreements. Marital issues such as child custody arrangements, alimony and child support may change if the spouses bring it to the attention of the court.

For example, if a parent is not following the correct child custody arrangement, the opposing parent can bring them to court. They can file a motion with the court so that the parents can enter court to have a judge make a ruling on the case. This may lead to a change in the original agreement that was set forth. It can also lead to the court finding the parent in contempt of court. Since a child custody arrangement is legally binding, the parent is violating a court order. The court may hold this against them.

Alimony and child support are forms of monetary compensation that one spouse may have to pay the other after the divorce is finalized. With these issues, modifications can be made due to a variety of changes in life. If a child is found to be independent, then the parent may not have to pay child support anymore. The child’s decision to attend college or a university may lead to an alteration to the payments that are being made. Alimony, or spousal support, may be changed based on the circumstances that the spouses are facing in their newly single lives. Retirement, unemployment, cohabitation, remarriage and more can lead to changes in the alimony payments that were originally declared.

How are child custody arrangements adjusted?

Child custody arrangements can be brought to court when a parent files a motion with the court. If they are finding that the custody arrangement is not going according to plan or the child has outgrown the previous agreement, they can file this motion to bring their former spouse to court. A judge can then preside over the case. The judge will take into account the previous arrangement and if it needs to be adjusted. They will consider the new factors or what part of the arrangement is not working for the parents. This can help them decide on how to change the arrangement or if they will keep it the same.

Our firm proudly serves clients throughout Rockland County, New York when they require compassionate and effective legal guidance. If you require experienced legal representation for any of your divorce and family law matters, contact the Law Offices of Mark S. Paige, P.C. today to schedule a consultation.